Assuming you've read the blog post about The Testimony, I gathered one more tidbit of information that makes the story all the more fantastic. Wondering if ManyTalents/ExtremelyGifted is as self-involved as we were assuming (and somewhat hoping, now that I'm crossing my fingers for an encore performance when a couple friends are in town for next month's F&T meeting)? We've now got some solid evidence that yes, in fact, he is.
After ManyTalents/ExtremelyGifted sat down, apparently he leaned over to the person next to him and said, "What did you think?"
Yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh . . .
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Are you kidding me? What a moist towelette (I didn't want to use the "d" word on your blog). It's one thing to present yourself like that and remain oblivious as to how unappealing it is. It's another to perform in a premeditated fashion that just screams smugness and veiled insecurity. I wonder if he would display the same interest in another human being that he seems to expect from his audience.
Wow. I so badly wish that person would have responded by saying something like, "Well . . . for someone so gifted, you really stink at bearing your testimony!" I guess no one would actually ever tell him that though, right? One of the girls we have in Young Women's thinks that bearing testimony actually means time to confess all her sins. The bishop is working with her on how to properly bear a testimony. Being a convert to the church I think it took me sometime to figure it out. I'm sure I embarrassed myself a time or two. Hopefully, I didn't ever say anything like what you posted. They are so funny to read!!! That was great post!!!
Wendy, your comment could not have been more articulate--props, sister! Tracy, I had been thinking throughout the week, "Maybe he's a convert and is just getting it all figured out," but, unfortunately, I don't think that's the case. I'm hoping that a sense of self-awareness will creep in at some point because the kid is still pretty young (23).
Luckily, my dear, you always had a lot of heart in bearing your testimony and I could always feel that. I never remember you saying anything kooky or off the wall; I just remember being touched. Considering it's been about 10 years and *that's* what I remember, I'd say you figured it out just perfectly!
Oh, wow.
That makes my day.
Thanks. It did take me some time to figure it out, but now I'm very aware of what you should and shouldn't say. The hard thing is when you join the church no one pulls you aside and goes through it with you. I joined the church at age 20 and went into a singles ward, in LA of all places. You can only imagine the stories/ testimonies that were being said from the pulpit. I thought from early on that bearing your testimony meant to tell a spiritual story. Boy o boy was I wrong and I'm so glad I eventually figured that out. It just goes to show how important it is for someone to bear a real testimony, not tell a story, not talk about themselves, just a real testimony about the things they know to be true. Short and sweet. It sets a huge example to those who are converts and just learning their way.
I love hearing about this. I really hope you continue to write about it. It's so hilarious! I look forward to fast Sundays even more now :)
You are such a good writer - please continue!!
Thanks for the encouragement, Tracy! I have to admit to writing more when I get asked to post more (looking at you, Liz and Wendy, and now Tracy's on the list!); most of the time, I admit, I write for myself as sort of a journal or way to document the crazy, silly things my mom does . . . I mean, crazy, silly things that happen in my life. So to think anyone else gets any entertainment out of it is just icing on the cake. There continues to be more material on ManyTalents weekly, so I'll have to whip some more stuff together.
Also, Tracy, your comment has spurred a whole bunch of thoughts in my head as to what a testimony is or SHOULD be.. Thanks for getting my spiritual creative juices flowing; if I'm lucky, I might be able to articulate my thoughts into something coherent for a post.
Post a Comment