Monday, September 8, 2008

Fluhman Rocks

Y'all know how much I loved Brother Fluhman and his classes up at school. I recorded his lectures, transcribed them, and still listen to them to this day. Here is my very favorite off-the-cuff intro he did once; Nancy should appreciate this one since she was there. =) He was talking about how men and women have different definitions of "doing one's hair" and how they discussed this at length in one of his sections. Brooke, cue the Fluhman voice. Go.

"We found that men and women have very different ideas about what that verb entails with regard to hair. It took us some considerable time to chase this down. Apparently for the majority of the women in the class, doing one's hair involves an electrical implement of some sort, and probably product, and considerable time. So one gal had her hair braided, pony tail, fancy, weaving in and out, as braids tend to do. And I said, "Well, you did your hair." And she said, "No." Like, "You're an idiot. You're crazy." I don't wake up with my hair in this perfect weave formation! But see, I didn't know. I didn't know. Because she didn't blow dry or straighten or . . . there's something else. Curl! DID ANY GUY ANSWER THAT?!

"Don't look at me. Same haircut since 1992. But it was interesting to see how people define that. And we took more time than I thought, but I could not follow what they were saying. I could not figure out. She said she had not done her hair, but it was very, very fancy."

No comments: